|I let go the first day of school.|
- I was nervous to leave the supplies open ended, they were thrilled.
- I was hesitant that everyone would be included, everyone was successful.
- I was leery when I gave only one direction "Build the tallest free-standing structure" they worked together to build their structure.
- I wanted to "jump in" and make suggestions, I kept quiet.
- I wanted to offer encouragement, but I knew that would be teacher "approval."
- I wasn't sure of the connections they would make, and they made better connections that I could have imagined.
We discussed their learning experience and created the chart above. I asked them what did they learn as a team? We connected these ideas to our new school year. I was impressed with the last one: say something positive first before you make a suggestion. WOW! If we accomplished that on day one I think we are set for the year.
TAKE AWAY: When we step away and allow our students the opportunity for open ended learning (projects, #makespace) there is more commitment and ownership. Students find creative solutions and most of them I didn't even consider. I'm excited for the opportunity to continue challenging my students and learning along side them. It's going to be a GREAT year - Let's celebrate! Thanks to Ruth for reminding us to celebrate every week. Here is the link for this week. I'm always thankful for our Saturday time together in the blogging community.