Saturday, August 29, 2015

Celebrating: Letting Go!

let go the first day of school.  

  • I was nervous to leave the supplies open ended, they were thrilled.
  • I was hesitant that everyone would be included, everyone was successful.
  • I was leery when I gave only one direction "Build the tallest free-standing structure" they worked together to build their structure.
  • I wanted to "jump in" and make suggestions, I kept quiet.
  • I wanted to offer encouragement, but I knew that would be teacher "approval."
  • I wasn't sure of the connections they would make, and they made better connections that I could have imagined.
We discussed their learning experience and created the chart above.  I asked them what did they learn as a team?  We connected these ideas to our new school year.  I was impressed with the last one: say something positive first before you make a suggestion.  WOW!  If we accomplished that on day one I think we are set for the year.

TAKE AWAY:  When we step away and allow our students the opportunity for open ended learning (projects, #makespace) there is more commitment and ownership.  Students find creative solutions and most of them I didn't even consider.  I'm excited for the opportunity to continue challenging my students and learning along side them.  It's going to be a GREAT year - Let's celebrate!  Thanks to Ruth for reminding us to celebrate every week. Here is the link for this week.  I'm always thankful for our Saturday time together in the blogging community.




20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks friend your conversations really shaped my thinking. Bring on the cardboard boxes.

      Delete
  2. Oh, how I love this post! When we step away and allow our students more opportunity for open ended learning, there is more commitment and ownership. So true! The chart of students' understanding and learning are powerful statements about what will make your classroom run smoothly this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie I'm excited this experience will help us all continue to grow. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  3. It is a mantra at my school to keep one's mouth shut and let the students go. Your post is such a celebration of that, Maria. I love the opening that you wrote, could be a set of conditions for the classroom, for parenting, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I wrote this post I continually thought about raising our children. So many parallels in teaching.

      Delete
  4. It is hard to step away when there is so much pressure on teachers to make sure children are learning but what a brave thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our district is really focusing this year on allowing students to choose and for teachers to allow these opportunities. I have to work hard on stepping in.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like both you and your students had a wonderful learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did it's exciting when students observe the teacher learning side by side.

      Delete
  6. Yay for lesson plans that worked! I love it when trepidation turns into joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said! By the way LP were easier....something to consider. I spent more time thinking.

      Delete
  7. What a great lesson! Letting go is definitely an art we I have to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Off to a great start, my friend - hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the position of sideline coach much better than the front of the room sage. Your students knew you trusted them. That's huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great analogy! First day trust was something I had not considered thanks,for pointing that out to me. Have a great week.

      Delete
  10. I love that you are being brave Mrs. C. Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you are being brave and taking risks with your teaching. Proud of you Mrs. C!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our conversations were a huge part of my learning curve. Thanks friend 🌸

    ReplyDelete