Saturday, February 18, 2017

Celebrating Being on my Quest

I held onto my OLW - quest for 2017.  I knew that I wasn't finished with the journey that I would be on to as I continue as a student of writing.   I am excited to be celebrating Ruth's writing courses.  She hooked me when I watched her first video and she discussed how overwhelmed she was with grading 100 writing assignments. I've read several different articles about becoming a stronger teacher of writing, and for now,  I have a system that is working for me.  I am quite excited about it because it's manageable which is the key to implementation.

Collaboration:  During our workshop, we discussed what were the key components that everyone focused on while writing their informational essay.  My writers came up with a list of five. Done, simple,  and most importantly easy to assess.

  • strong opening (lead)
  • content specific vocabulary
  • body - flow and stronger sentences
  • choosing important evidence
  • strong closing (wrap it up)

Grading:  I have 26 writers in my class this year, and I read and evaluated 6 a night which I could manage.  I had a goal, and I succeeded. I only graded for the five components and wrote down notes for each writer, so I could gather information to inform next week's instruction.

Grouping:  On the fifth night, I looked for patterns which would be a an important review for mini lessons.  I have read several articles about writing partners, and intentional talk.  

I've had some time to reflect on this process, and I am celebrating my quest for being a stronger teacher as well as implementing several ideas that Ruth has shared with us.  I am anxious to return to school on Tuesday and share the plan for the week with my writers.  Thanks friends for sharing in this week's celebration and continuing on my quest with me.  


This warmed my heart as I read Tara's comment.
I am thankful to have friends like Ruth and Tara to lead
me as a writer. 



18 comments:

  1. Wow! What a celebration!! I love that you're holding onto your OLW for another year and this course sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle I was a little nervous like I was breaking the rules, but it felt just perfect for me.

      Delete
  2. One of my biggest challenges is grading for certain components. My teaching partner and I have been working on streamlining this all year. It certainly makes it easier when we do it...especially now that I have a stack of 100 essays on my table waiting for feedback! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on your 100 essays - the journey of grading is one that I ponder greatly.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful celebration! Isn't it amazing how "manageable system" supports strong teaching? And Leigh Anne Eck's "streamlining" guards that strength so it isn't sapped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes "manageable" is the key. I am not always fortunate to find a system that works...we shall see tomorrow when I return my learning back to the writers.

      Delete
  4. Your 5 components are doable and I especially like "flow and stronger sentences". What I strive for with my students. I am enjoying Kaizena, a Google add-on to give quick voice comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion...I will check that add-on to see if that could help my quest.

      Delete
  5. So good to hear that you're feeling great about your choices and management as a teacher. It's a big challenge keeping it all together, and having collaboration with Ruth and Tara will help you tweak if needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure where I would be if it wasn't for my virtual PLN of friends. And through the comments I learn so much more also. Have a great week!!

      Delete
  6. I am so inspired by this! There's always so much to learn as an educator, it's a career that always keeps your brain fired up and your spirit engaged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment stuck to me "always keeps your brain fired up and your spirit engaged!" you nailed it. I always want to be a learner in my own classroom.

      Delete
  7. Maria, I have been on the go so much after being out of commission from my month long bout with acute sinusitis that I haven't had a chance to look at Ruth's writing materials. You and Tara have given a strong recommendation so thank you for sharing. I like that you asked your students for what they thought the key components of writing are. It is always important to assess our groups on a continual basis and how them the power of reflection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you're feeling better. I always am thankful for my virtual learning community. At the beginning of it were my friends at Wonderopolis. Here's to healthy and happy week.

      Delete
  8. I celebrate your ongoing quest to be a stronger teacher. We're so blessed to have technology as a partner and the ways that same technology can bring experts into our lives. I celebrate with you the intentional way that you approached those 26 informational essays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ramona, I appreciate your support and I did not think of my plan for grading as intentional I always feel like I am constantly learning and the pieces fall together like a puzzle.

      Delete
  9. I love the steps you took to make your writing assessment really meaningful, Maria. I'm loving Ruth's course, too - and looking forward to applying my new learning to the 45 essay I need to read tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's to learning about our young writers and giving them the best feedback possible. I hope you had a peaceful day and even better week. I wish I was going to see you this coming Saturday at the Dublin Literacy Conference. Hugs my friend.

      Delete