Since getting the iPods and working towards my goals of allowing the tool to extend students learning as well as using iPods in productivity I have really struggled with
final products. The teacher in me wants to have the piece of paper to assess and
attach to the final rubric, but my learning curve is pushing me towards allowing the tool to house the final product. This has been hard for me to let go of.
I tried this for the first time in word study/Poetry Friday. Our focus has been on figurative language-defining, searching, describing and writing it. We finished our unit, and I had the students take their final assessment in notebook on their iPods. They were so excited, and I was able to see quickly who got the concepts and who I needed to pull for some small group instruction. I just looked at their iPods and used a check list to mark off each student-it was quick and easy in the process we saved a tree! Here are a few samples of the student's work.