Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Amazing Two Days with Kirby Larson

I don't know who was more excited about Kirby Larson visiting our school for two days:  me or the students. I have to admit Bill at Literate Lives had to tell me a few times to be quiet and let the students ask the questions.  I was so excited about all of the ideas from her two presentations entitled "My Life as a Writer" and "Writing a Nonfiction Story."  There were so many fun memories that it is really hard to choose.


This is Winston the Wonder Dog "digging."
 Let's start with an amazing analogy of writing with Kirby's adorable dog Winston.  Kirby shared with the students about her love for animals and how she finally got her first puppy named Winston.  As she learned many lessons about having a new puppy she realized those lessons connected with writing. I LOVED these ideas and all 24 of my students said it really helped them to think about writing differently.

#1 SIT/STAY (sometimes as a writer you have sit and stay and continue writing)
#2 DIG (many times as a writer you have to dig (research for facts to support your writing)
#3 EXPLORE (be willing to go a little out of your comfort zone in your writing)

As she discussed these ideas and the way she connected her thinking to her Hattie Big SkyNubs and Two Bobbies.  I have to say this was a HUGE lightbulb moment for me as well as my students.


Newberry Club members with Kirby Larson.
  Next as I mentioned in earlier blogs, Bill, Joyce and I  started a Newberry Club this year to try and encourage 5th graders to read and predict the Newbrery Winner.  Our Literacy Committee decided to allow this group of determined readers to have lunch with Kirby Larson on the second day.  I can't begin to tell you how proud I was sitting there listening to all of their questions as well as learning more about Kirby as a writer. Thanks Kirby for a wonderful 2 day visit and visiting our classroom.



Our class picture with Kirby Larson!






                                   

1 comment: