Thursday, March 29, 2012

Who's Going to Remember?

As we walked around San Diego near the pier, you can't help but notice the humungous Naval ships in port as well as those sailing in the harbor.  I have never had the chance to get that close to these amazing vessels that reminded me of a compact mini city on an ocean.  As we walked along, we stopped at this exhibit and I read this overview about hundred of thousands of sailors who put their personal lives on hold during WWII and how it is the only ship in which there were not any losses of life during its voyages. 


Then as we looked ahead we saw ships and this statue at the end of the pier, so we proceeded over to it to find out what it represented.  At this point, I have to admit I just sat on a bench and began thinking about the courage the sailors must have had to go into this war.  I have never been asked to have that much courage I admire those that do.


Finally we found an amazing exhibit in salute of Bob Hope-which brings my blog post title to life " Who Will Remember?"  As we listened to Bob's voice talk to the troops and looked at the massive ship in the background, I was in awe of the experience. I am old enough to remember Bob Hope's tours to support the troops, but I wonder who will teach the future generations about the sacrifice of WWII?  This part of the trip reminded me of the importance of taking the time to visit the historic sites while on vacation or attending a conference. 




I am going to share these pictures and video with my class to discuss the importance of this historic event along with Wonder #239  What is the Medal of Honor?  I think this will make the connection for my young 11-12 year old students.

1 comment:

  1. Maria,
    I agree with you completely. We owe these soldiers so much for the opportunities they afforded us. I always enjoyed visiting with one of our older neighbors, Wendell. He had so many incredible stories to tell of his time in the war and the way life was so much simpler then. I truly appreciate the sacrifices he and so many others made for us to be able to live in these great United States of America! Thanks for the reminder.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete