Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Connecting Wonder to Vacations


Ever since we took our Wonder trip to Kentucky last December I think about vacations differently. I would totally have changed some of the family trips that we took.  I would not have changed the places we visited, but I would have taken more time to experience the learning on vacations.  For example, going to the Louisville Slugger with our son who plays college baseball was so much fun observing him as he read all about his baseball heroes and learning about history of the game of baseball.  Below is a picture inside the locked bat vault where protocols for each bat ever made is stored  We got to hold Hank Aaron, Derek Jeter and many other all star bats.


Fast forward to our vacation that we just came back from in the Outer Bank, NC.  I had always heard that this area is known as the "Graveyard for ships." I never knew why so we took a side trip to visit lighthouses to see if we could find the answers.  We visited Cape Hatteras and Bodie Island Lighthouses.  When we arrived, we visited the Caretaker's House which was full of information that answered all of our questions.  I also learned some interesting facts to share with my class about word study (U-Boats) and how important it is to use the natural resources for survival.  It was a great day and another reminder to always wonder in everything we do no matter what age we are!






No comments:

Post a Comment