Friday, May 13, 2016

Celebration: Creating Lifetime Memories

Only 15 days of school are left and as the year comes to an end, I am celebrating the moments that my students might remember.  It's not the moments that were on my lesson plans most of the time.  Or the "must do" check off list that all of us are faced with in the classroom.  Finally this year the life memories are the ones that I stepped back and allowed my class to lead me.  I will be completing year 28, and I have never pushed the pause button as much as I have this year. Pause on on  interrupting conversations to add my thoughts. Pause on what I believe book clubs should look like the last weeks of school.  Pause on creating the rubric for the three types of government.  Pause on our lemonade stand.  


Completing a busy two days, they were exhausted, but a great kind of exhaustion.

  • reading the book to the preschool units
  • answering questions from the kindergarten
  • serving over 500 students
  • counting numerous coins into $20 piles
  • cleaning up the floor after spills 
  • most students gave up recess for their shift
  • wearing yellow shirts so as a class we would stand out (thanks to my husband for a last minute shopping trip to purchase mine)
  • setting up and tearing down our stand 
We raised $700 in two days and although they were overjoyed with the total most of them relished in the learning experience.  Thanks to Ruth for encouraging us to celebrate.  I appreciate all the support of friends and colleagues it was an amazing learning celebration for all of us. 

20 comments:

  1. Maria, authentic learning projects are highlights for students where they will indeed have a lifetime memory. Adding in the service learning component is the extra bonus for your young entrepreneurs. I applaud you and your students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about monitoring comments. I appreciate how you combined learning with the service aspect. It's such an important connection for students.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing opportunity for you and your students!! This is awesome and certainly something to celebrate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such fun and their final reaction was priceless. The life experiences was the long range goal which we met.

      Delete
  3. The lemonade stand project sounds wonderful, Maria. My granddaughter's class in Kindergarten (last year) sold cards made by women in a day shelter here, & it is something she will remember too. What a good list of celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda for always supporting my celebrations. I love the idea of starting young with our primary learners. What a fun opportunity.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Action is what we drive for, the students making a change in the world. Congratulations to your students for this action and commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful things you are teaching at the end of the school year! The kids will remember these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that you raised $700! Congrats on two busy days. You are right, you've certainly created a moment to celebrate. ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy it was interesting how the message of giving appeared to be more important that the final totals. I was pleased about that.

      Delete
  8. The lemonade stand sounds like it was a wonderful experience. Pressing pause is a wonderful thing to do. I would like to practice that more often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right on with that comment I've been thinking about what that can look like more and more in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your students have learned lessons that will last a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol I know with our own children they remember those "special" projects. That is my goal.

      Delete
  11. What a gift you've given these kids, Maria - they learned so much about the things in life that matter: working hard for a great cause, taking pride in their work, believing in themselves. Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara for your kind note. I am beginning to wonder how I could weave this sense of pride in more than "one event."

      Delete
  12. Maria,
    I'm so happy you shared this celebration and reminder of the important work that happens when we push "pause." Tara is right, you have given a remarkable gift to your students. Enjoy the last 15 days!
    Hugs,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth in the craziness of the last few weeks I found it a relief to slow down and allow my students to be where they needed to be for the process. They set the pace. I hope you have a marvelous week. Thanks for encouraging me to celebrate little moments,

      Delete