Saturday, September 20, 2014

Celebrate: Guilt

We are all busy.  We all have activities and job requirements that require our time.  I know this as I sit here and type my Celebration post for the week.  But the work guilt lingers over me like a dark cloud.  I had a crazy busy week three morning meetings, two parent meetings and 2 huge but wonderful PD opportunities. I know it is similar to all of my teacher friends who are reading this post today.  But the entire week, I couldn't stop thinking about the next "to do" on my list.  I tried to be present in every moment and learn the lessons that I know I can achieve in every new experience.  But I also knew that I had to make it to Friday at 3:45 before I could breathe and try to distinguish that black cloud.

It's Saturday morning I promised myself I wouldn't get out of bed before 8:00 AM which is sleeping in 3.5 hours longer than a weekday.  It wasn't hard to do that so I celebrate sleeping in.  I am able now to look back on one of my parent meetings that hopefully will solidify the importance of the home school connection.  I reflect on the chance to talk to colleagues in another building about what I have learned about incorporating Google into my classroom and saving tons of time which is a huge celebration!  I celebrate an opportunity Thursday night to laugh so hard that I had tears in my eyes and realized my support group extends among my school walls.  Finally I celebrate #Steinerstrong a past fifth grade student who was diagnosed with Leukemia this summer who is a senior now.  I was able to talk to her and wear my orange T-shirt to school Friday as our entire district gathers around her to support her as well as her amazing family. 

Steiner Strong: Dublin Rallies Around Teen Battling Leukemia
Students and parents at Dublin Coffman are showing their support of high school senior Riley.
http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/09/19/dublin-ohio- . . .

I celebrate now that I have a chance to pause and feel the gratitude for my crazy busy week.  You can celebrate with other colleagues HERE.


10 comments:

  1. One of my celebrations includes the gift that you gave to me on Friday. Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to kids and families and your willingness to share with us. A true gift to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie what an amazing learning experience for me as well. I learned from your conversations and continue to reflect on this opportunity for all of us this year.

      Delete
  2. Maria - it sounds like you needed Saturday morning desperately! I'm glad you got to sleep in (my favorite thing to do on Saturdays) and reflect over the difference you're making in a lot of lives. And I just LOVE laughing that hard - it's a catharsis! Blessings to your past fifth grade student!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post speaks to many of this during BUSY and HECTIC and CRAZED September weeks. It is important to be in the moment and to celebrate those wonderful miracles....thank you for this reminder of how precious life and our days are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a most wonderful feeling to know I don't have to rush out of the house, so I'm glad for you about the sleeping in. Your week does sound crammed, and perhaps the Friday support for your former student filled your mind all week too, in addition to every thing else you had to do. Hope it is a recuperation weekend, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right LInda, Until I read your comment I had not thought about how heavy my heart has been for Riley. Thank you for your reflective comment.

      Delete
  5. Thank YOU for everything you gave me this week -- a reminder about the importance of classroom environment, new ideas for differentiation, and maybe best of all, an achy tummy from belly laughs.

    So grateful I started crushing on your DRA folders all those years ago!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our friendship both personal and collegial is so important to me. I am thankful for our friendship and conversations. Bring on Washington DC I can't wait!!!

      Delete
  6. The sleep, the pause and gratitude help us to be strong during busy days. I wish you a moment to pause and breathe every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by my blog. It's been a relaxing Sunday! Have a great week!!

      Delete