Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Time Saver: Have you tried using labels?


Like all teachers, we are constantly looking for ways to save time in our classrooms, last year through twitter I read some tweets about using peel off labels for a time saver. One of my biggest problems last year, in fifth grade, was the amount of time it would take my students to cut out and glue in the problem of the day in math.  I would even trim them down (which took my time because I would copy, then trim) and still searching for glue sticks--I am sure you know the routine. 

This process in math worked wonderfully.  I would type out the problem of the day print on labels, cut them into 4 groups of 6 and place them on their desks. Works like a charm.  Below is an example that I will use the first week of school.

So this summer, I have been thinking about how to save time in other areas. I love starting my literacy workshops with quotes. I share with my students why I like them and how they influence me as a reader or writer. I share a picture book for a mini lesson read aloud and then I ask my students to reflect on the quote. Finally we share how the quote touches them or connects with the picture books that I have read. Perfect workshop for the first week of school.  However, I wanted to jazz my literacy labels up so this morning I found this idea. I am so excited to share these with my students.  Here is the link on how I made them:  Avery Labels.

I found this quote in Aimee Buckner's book:  Notebook Know How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook which is an excellent book if you haven't read it because of all the examples she uses from her classroom.  I will share this book with my class and the forward that Ralph Fletcher wrote for the book.  I love making the connections for my students.  At the start of the school year, I spent several days reading and discussing Ralph Fletcher's books including" Marshfield Dreams (favorite chapters as mini lessons), Twilight Comes Twice, and last year I read aloud: Flying Solo.  I am excited to introduce this author study using these labels to connect the reading and writing.


I am still on the hunt for a Walt Disney graphic for one of my favorite quotes: 
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."




-->


6 comments:

  1. These look great...what a wonderful brainwave! Marshfield Dreams is such an excellent mentor text for memoir, isn't it?! I also use Lois Lowry's "Looking Back" - perfect text examples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent will check out that title. Excited to begin thinking about literacy block I have been living in math this summer.

      Delete
  2. Love labels! Have you seen the following link...it is about math notebooks by grade level and there is a portion that you can preview/download with common core problems already formatted for labels! Check it out! They have them for all grade levels!

    http://www.k-5mathteachingresources.com/5th-grade-math-journals.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the link I think I bookmarked it but got lost.

      Delete
  3. I love this idea Maria! I love quotes too - and have never thought about having students save them in a notebook. It got me thinking.. I use a lot of inspirational quotes. It would be easier to put them on a label, then have kids write about what they think the quote means. Then they could discuss with their table or the class what it means, finally writing a new understanding after discussion and taking in points of view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant use of labels! I'm off to look at the link Tracy shared (before I ask you to send me a sampling of/file filled with your problems)!!

    ReplyDelete