Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Slice of Life: OLW Perspective on the First Day Back

My OLW perspective sure sums up yesterday. Our first day after Spring Break. I wasn’t quite ready to be back; however, I knew the day was approaching as Sunday evening clicked by quickly and my 5:45 am wake up call was lurking. Facebook was exploding and it was even better than a twitter chat.  Thanks to Mary Lee asking her friends for suggestions on her last read aloud of the year.  It was like a roller coaster of ideas for me. Actually enough titles to last me until retirement.  I posted “What’s a girl suppose to do?” Of course, Mary Lee comments back, “Ask your students” Brilliant!! – fast forward to 10:15 Monday morning, not too many smiles on their faces.  I borrowed the idea from Tony Keefer, and we started our Room 234 Book Challenge for the Final Read Aloud. Picture NCAA bracket made up of 24 well loved and favorite chapter titles. Each student will defend their favorite book with a short synopsis (I taught them that word) they were super excited about writing a synopsis. The winner will be announced Friday.  We will begin reading our last read aloud of the year next Monday.

We played Fact and Fiction while sharing about their Spring Break.  I’m not sure how you feel,, and I love to honor Spring Break stories, but sometimes they turn into a long drawn out story.  The students loved playing the game as they walked around reading everyone’s statements and voted on which was their peer's one fact.  It was a perfect way to celebrate at the same time everyone had a voice.


Perspective has been an interesting choice for my OLW.  At times, it helps me to remember to stay focused on what’s important for my students not all of the “junk” that comes along with teaching. Other times, perspective is a celebration like today!  Not jumping right into focused lesson plans, taking a pulse from my class.  It’s been an interesting journey, and I’m intrigued to see where my OLW leads me into Spring. 

Thanks to the Two Writing Teachers for encouraging us to Slice especially in March. Thanks to everyone who has committed to the 30 Daly Slice challenge. I have learned so much and enjoy reading the Slices.  


3 comments:

  1. So glad to be a part of a successful first day back! My new perspective is that my "colleague next door" can be miles away, as long as we connect in other ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great ideas Maria. It doesn't seem possible that it's time to plan the last read aloud already. I will look forward to seeing what they pick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear what they pick, Maria! Reading everyone's responses to Mary Lee's question was really fun. Love your "fact or fiction" idea. Great way to come back from spring break - a day that can be really hard on everyone!

    ReplyDelete