Saturday, September 17, 2016

Celebrate: My OLW (Quest)

It's been a long week in fifth grade.  Long meaning several conversations about how we are going to choose where to sit.  How we have to share the couch, stools and moving tables.  How I am not willing to have a sign out for all the seating preferences. Yes I played the teacher card.  Two weeks ago at our Friday class meeting, the students decided that you could only sit at "special" seat once during our rotation of five subjects a day.  

Fast forward to yesterday's class meeting.  An extremely shy student raised her hand and said, "Mrs. Caplin everyone isn't following the class rules about open seating."  I responded, "What should we do to solve this problem?"  Conversation continued similar to the past two Fridays.  I just listened and did not solve this problem again.  

I'm celebrating my quest on not solving the problems for the learners in my room this year. I don't respond when I'm asked

  • how to spell---- 
  • where's Massachusetts
  • how do use multiplicative form with 433,320.21
  • can you tell me the attribute for Anna in Capture the Flag
You get the point.  It's a huge transition for me.  I am no longer the gate keeper of answers.  I am the gate keeper of the questions, so they can find the answers.  It's been a hard process to break old traditions, but it's been an amazing quest for the first four weeks of school.  

I'm celebrating with my colleagues.  Thanks Ruth for helping me to remember to search for celebrations.  Happy Saturday :)

14 comments:

  1. Wow! That sounds like quite a quest. I admire how you are thinking about your practice and how your choices impact your students. I can't wait to see how this quest goes throughout the year! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an on going rollercoaster to be honest. There's good days that are amazing and hard days when I just want to give the answer.

      Delete
  2. Celebrating NOT being the gatekeeper is awesome, Maria. I often asked myself "What am I doing that the students can do?" It does work, but for those who want ready answers it takes patience, and it sounds like you have lots of it! Terrific to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question totally lifting from this comment. Patience is the key to my quest (not always my strongest attribute).

      Delete
  3. I love this idea. It goes so well with how I think, but I admit I fall into the trap of answering their questions far too often. You definitely gave me something to think about here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend - let's hook up soon. Will text you :)

      Delete
  4. It is so hard to be a gatekeeper. This reminds me of when my own kids would get frustrated when doing homework and say, would you just give me the answer! I have to admit, some nights it was just easier! Good luck with your quest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree sometimes it is much easier to give them the answer. I hope you have a great week.

      Delete
  5. The gatekeeper of questions - I like that. I have a feeling this is going to be a fantastic year for your students. And you too of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a different year. 27 students and changing old practices is not easy; however I believe it's better for my students to find the answers.

      Delete
  6. I love this...I am the gatekeeper of questions. It's so hard to not jump in with the answers, isn't it. I find myself clapping my hands over my mouth when talking to teachers and students alike. :) Good for you Maria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment I always enjoy learning along side you. I have bitten my tongue a few times to be honest.

      Delete
  7. I too enjoy that phrase, "Gatekeeper of questions." This is an excellent policy and a hard one to start. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Three cheers for the Keeper of the Questions!

    ReplyDelete