Saturday, July 1, 2017

Celebrate Reading

June has slid away and July has crept in. This week I celebrate reading and the gift of time.  The month of June was perfect for me.  Filled with my favorite activities: reading, gardening, visiting, and of course more reading. I also have more time for Saturday celebration blog posts.Thanks Ruth for encouraging us to celebrate and connect with my Saturday friends from near and far. 


My summer office with a view.
  • Visiting my favorite Ostrander Library weekly and talking to my friends.  Walking in and hearing, "You have several titles on the shelf today."  Discussing which ones that I reserved through Search Ohio that I think the Delaware Libraries should consider purchasing.  I celebrate amazing conversations about books and the opportunity to influence the purchase of new titles. 
  • Gift of time to read blogs and tweets. The Newberry Buzz started this week with Elizabeth posting at Fuse 8.  It's like an early Christmas present to see if I am on target or way off the mark.  This year I have done pretty well with my picks so far, and of course there were a few new titles that I wasn't aware of YET.
  • Gift of time to discuss books with friends that visit, through twitter, facebook and our BE google list that Bill, Margaret and Ben keep going all summer with new titles and front runners for Newberry.
  • I celebrate last year's class and their class gift which were gift cards, so I could purchase my new books for next year's class.  Every year I have a student ask me about the "new books," and I explain how it's important to pay it forward. Explaining that last year's readers are already supporting this year's readers. A full circle moment connecting the end of one year and start of a new year. 
  • Visiting my favorite bookstore, Fundamentals and discussing books with my friend Tami. It's always a fun day when she gives me an ARC  and this week I got Wishtree by Katherine Applegate.  I am excited to share that the Scholastic Summer Road Trip will be coming to her store in Delaware, Ohio.  That will truly be a celebration for everyone!!!



12 comments:

  1. So many gifts to celebrate - especially the time to read! I used my gift cards today and bought some wonderful new titles for our classroom, can't wait until they arrive and I can claim the teacher privilege of first read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shot of your summer office and all the book love in this post! I'm excited to read several new titles as Newbery possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My summer office just got finished and it's the best for thinking and learning.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a week full of such goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you had a wonderful June filled with reading, Maria. I saw that Fuse 8 post, have read a few, but more to read! I loved Orphan Island, FYI. And I want to read Wishtree! Enjoy the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased Orphan Island without reading it. Way too many great reviews. I think it is a "hot" book of the summer.

      Delete
  5. Your June reading adventures sounds lovely. I must look up that Fuse 8 post. Wishtree sounds like an important book for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE Wishtree my hope is that students will love it too. It spoke to my heart with so many life experiences and so many more to be learned.

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of a class paying it forward. I always save my last month's Scholastic purchases for the following year just so they can have some new ones on the shelf when they arrive. I have heard so many good things about Wishtree, Orphan Island, and Beyond the Bright Sea that I hope I am not disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer office! Yes. I have been enjoying sitting on my deck in the morning to do some writing.

    I love the idea of paying it forward. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great place to work, Maria. The scenery is lovely and everything looks so peaceful. Enjoy the time reflecting and also the Summer Road Trip bus.

    ReplyDelete