Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Slowing Down on the First Day


I have to admit for 29 years this photo would have put me over the edge. This moment today didn't scare me; however, today I was looking around our messy classroom and breathing deeply.  First day of school - first two hours - first mess of the year.  It's ok.

At our convocation yesterday, we were reminded about gratitude and the importance of remembering to be thankful.  

  • I am thankful for this mess.  
  • I am thankful that I had extra supplies for learners who did not have any supplies today.  
  • I am thankful I was able to "sneak" the supplies to my new learners. 
The importance of breathing deeply the first day and remembering that all 25 learners are a little nervous and excited. Not much different than their teacher.

One of my favorite activities is Pick a Card.  I created this game because there are always at least 15 things that need to be completed on the first day.  I never remember all of them, so I wrote every item on an index card. Example cards include:
  • bathroom policy
  • class jobs
  • unpacking supplies
  • labeling folders
  • recess rules
  • internet guidelines
You get the idea....I allow students to pull a card out of the OSU bucket and then explain the new routine. I then put the index card on the board which helps students when they forget. It's fun and allows everyone to be involved in completing the long list. of things Here's to an amazing first day where I remembered to be thankful and slow down. 

1 comment: