Saturday, September 23, 2017

Celebrating: Status of the Class


Celebrations are crucial. Some days I search for a celebration; however most days celebrations come knocking at my door.  We are off to a great start in Room 234. 

Choosing to spend the first four weeks discussing and creating our new community. 

Conversations about how we will talk with each other especially when we don't agree (which happens in math quite often).  

Allowing time for everyone to learn about their life as a reader and lots of time searching the classroom library. Yet to be organized except by the color of the spines of the books which makes me so happy. Because it is their library. 



Celebrating that my learners know that I am a reader, and I will be checking weekly with them on how they are progressing.  

One of my biggest celebration was on Thursday - Weekly Status of the Class. At this time of year, status takes forever or at least it feels that way.  I have to admit every Thursday morning I selftalk myself knowing that this time is well spent.  There are two parts to Status of the Class.


  • Every reader shares aloud their current JR book and what page they are currently reading.  This is powerful because all 25 readers here a title, make connections and typically ends in at least one book talk. This process takes less than 10 minutes.
  • Second, I meet with every reader, one on one, short conference about their JR book.  They track their reading in BoB (Book of Books) and I ask them about their goals and to share their evidence.  This takes at least 30 minutes. I value this time because I am making connections, I'm able to ask hard questions if I need too. Finally I am sending the message that we all will value reading and every Thursday is a set time for this celebration.
Fast forward to lunch and I am getting ready to go to duty. I find a sticky note hidden under my keyboard just peaking out for me to see.  In  our class, on the first day, I tell them that space is my mailbox if you need to tell me something or we need to talk leave me a note. 

Mrs. Caplin, Thank you for status today.  I have always liked reading, I don't like goals. Last year's teacher had us set goals but never met with me alone.  Now I know the importance of goals.  Thank you :)


 Thanks Ruth for encouraging us to celebrate and encouraging us to join in a community of Saturday Celebrations. 





12 comments:

  1. Oh that note's a keeper. It shows that your efforts are paying off in the lives of your readers. What's a JR book? Just Right book? JW (just wondering)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Just Right book - book of choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know... sweet words to hear from a student. So good that you are investing the time... it will probably result in many more celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was questioning myself and I needed confirmation. I got it!

      Delete
  4. You've made a friend with your student. I like your post-it note on the computer idea. I'm sure your students feel valued especially if they can leave a personal note in a special place for you to see. We have a weekly celebration for their Evening Reading book. I'm hoping that by sharing their reading about their books will spark interest in another book they would like to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fifth graders are unique - they want to be independent but they want help. A secret mailbox allows for all types of communications. I like the wording"evening reading" think I will borrow that phrasing - thank you.

      Delete
  5. What an awesome note! Yes, the time invested is definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! Your choice to use that time is so powerful - and the kids are getting it! Time well spent, and a note to keep pinned next to your desk as a reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the students are getting it...that is the message I am sending on Thursdays :) Thanks for stopping by my blog.

      Delete
  7. Your Weekly Status of the Class is time well spent. Lovely note from the reader in your class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terje always enjoy learning along with you.

      Delete