Thursday, January 19, 2012

I WONDER What is in the Box & OLW

During our WONDER weekend in Louisville, one of our stops was at Flame Run Glass Studio and Gallery.  I was thrilled to be going to Flame Run because I had an instant connection because when I was little I collected on vacations glass animals. I guess my love of the country started at a very young age.  I am not sure why I ever started the collection, but I always remember visiting my grandparents in Twin Lakes, NY and my favorite store the was the glass blowing.  As we learned, on our tour blowing glass takes lots of time, patience and talent.  It was fun to watch Brook, who is the owner share his craft.  I listened in awe as he discussed his knowledge of his craft.  We could all see how passionate he is about his craft.





So after our presentation, Brook said there is one more surprise each of the WONDER leads is going to be able to make an ornament.  My heart dropped because if truth be known I don't enjoy getting out of my comfort zone very much.  We were able to offer the opportunity to our family members, but my family wanted me to make one. Their encouragement really helped me as I stood and waited my turn.  I watched as the other 5 leads made their one of a kind unique ornament and then it was my turn.  I chose my colors of red, white and pink and requested a twist.  Brook looked at me and responded,  "I have never tried this before." This comment made me feel more comfortable. I proceeded to watch Brook create my ornament and then my turn came to blow in a tube to expand the bulb-my heart was pounding out of my chest.  I did it, and I have to admit I was very proud of myself.

As I REFLECT (OLW) on this experience, I thought about my words in the classroom.  What are the words we can use to encourage our students who are scared, but don't want to tell anyone? At what point during the day, are my students afraid to speak up and say I am not sure how to do this?  Visiting, Flame Run reminded me it is alright to explore out of my box.  So with that said here is my ornament.

2 comments:

  1. Maria,
    Thanks for the push to help me reflect this morning on what I can say and do to help those students who might be afraid/scared to speak.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're going to have fun this year on our Wonder Journey!!

    ReplyDelete