Sunday, September 11, 2016

#DigLitSunday: Reflection

Margaret asks us to reflect for this week's DigLitSunday.  Reflection was my #OLW (one little word) in 2012.  My #OLWs have impacted my life both personally and professionally. I really never have any idea of where my #OLW will lead me. 


Reflection is ever changing.  There are moments especially in the car driving home for 20 minutes when I have the waves of rollercoasters reflections. The ups and downs of reflection. I tend to lean more on the harder side of reflection when things aren't going well.  But I'm learning to be softer with myself. I think that is why I chose my #OLW Quest for 2016. Reflection is crucial for me especially this year as I embark on a new journey in my classroom (flexible seating along with inquiry learning) Blogging is an important part of my reflection. There have been moments when I wasn't sure if I should hit "post" and what's interesting those posts are the ones that tend to have the most comments. I'm thankful for reflection I always believe I'm better educator. I'm thankful for my PLN of friends who are everywhere from Maine to Montana.  I'm thankful for colleagues at BES and friends that support me.  Most of all I am so thankful for my family. Thanks Margaret, Reflections of Teche, for encouraging me with your weekly tweet to post on #DigLitSunday.

Sunday, September 11. I still remember where I was 15 years ago.  I was teaching and the first attack happened during my plan time. I gathered with my team members, watched silently, cried and had to walk into my classroom to teach.  I'm not sure how I made it through the day, If I'm honest I know how I made it through that day.  Prayers and knowing that I had to maintain composure, so my students' parents would be the ones to tell their child about what happened on 9-11.  I remember.


8 comments:

  1. Quest is a great word. Like reflection, it helps us to focus on what is really important. Thanks for sharing your thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't see that connection when I chose quest this year. I just knew this school year would feel more like a "quest" with the changes I was making. Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. Maria,
    I know what you mean when you say "rollercoaster reflections." I tend to focus on the negative at times too. But I also think those difficult times (and risky posts) are where we learn the most. Love your #OLW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a "teacher" thing always wondering how we could have done better? My "quest" is becoming clearer as the year continues.

      Delete
  3. Our inability to determine which posts will connect with readers is always interesting to me. I avoid the publish button at times, too. These blogging communities have made an even more reflective teacher, something which I am thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so thankful for my blogging community. So many times I've been lost or frustrated and one comment makes all the difference. I hope you have a great week.

      Delete
  4. Remembering Sept. 11th is difficult in my community where lives were lost. Being a teacher on that day and subsequent days was a difficult job as well for there were many questions and much sadness. Remembering is important, Maria, and reflection a much needed skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol for sharing your thoughts. It's a day that we will never forget. Reflection and prayers often go hand in hand for me.

      Delete