Sunday, January 31, 2016

January OLW Thoughts about my Quest


I have always tried to reflect on my OLW at the end of the month. I lost that idea last year, but I want to try it again.  I felt like it helped me focus on my OLW throughout the month.  As January comes to a close and to be honest I am ready to put this month behind me. I am thankful for my quest as well as the  lessons I learned from January.  

How does each scene support the structure of the play?

In class, I went on a quest to understand RL5.5 Explain how a series of chapters, scenes, or stanzas fits together to provide the overall structure of a particular story, drama, or poem. Let's be honest this standard is not new, I attempted it last year.  It's like unwrapping a gift but it turned into a  white elephant.  I wasn't quite sure what the standard meant, but I gave it my best shot.  Year 2, I am celebrating  digging deeper and continued searching for the true meaning of the white elephant. After all there is a little beauty in even the most difficult standard.  I am thankful to our literacy coach and team for helping me on this quest.  As we devoured "Ethics of Pigs" by O'Henry, we all felt much smarter and totally understood the structure of a drama.  We all earned a gold star for that learning. 
January in Ohio is always unpredictable with the weather.  Our weather has been seasonably mild, and we haven't had much snow.  We sidetracked the huge blizzard that just rolled through.  My quest for home this past month was slowing down in the evening and turning off school.  Typically I would do my homework for the evening and then continue reading, tweeting, and writing about being a teacher.  I decided I was going to try this month to turn off school earlier or better yet not have to do school every night. I assume this might sound a little crazy for a teacher to turn off school, but I needed to adjust, and I'm thankful I did.  I learned that being "on" all the time was not working for me.  I am thankful that my quest lead to a path that is more balanced.  I'm anxious to continue into February...

No comments:

Post a Comment