Monday, July 2, 2012

Connecting Continents


Building wonder in my classroom has been a HUGE part the past two years.  Ever since I have been using Wonderopolis almost on a daily basis in my classroom.  I believe strongly that our students learn from our modeling, so I often use phrases like:  "I am curious..." 
"Did you ever wonder why?"  or this year I liked using the word ponder.  My students looked at me a little strangely at first, but quickly caught on after a few times.  

As I have posted many times on my blog, I truly believe the comment section is so important to extend the students learning globally and this summer wonder has spread across the continents.  Imagine my surprise when I got the email below.  

Harshitha is in India visiting her grandparents for the summer, I suggested that we could stay in contact through email and the comment section of Wonderopolis.  I was ecstatic when I got this email and then of course I found her comment on #619.  


 
I was so excited to see how she connected the wonder to our social studies unit on slavery and also made some personal connections.  Wondering across the continents is a first in my 23 years of teaching-thanks Harshitha!!


2 comments:

  1. So cool that you could stay connected and share in learning experiences even though it's summer and your student is so far away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me cry!
    Thanks for sharing one of the WONDERS of your teaching, Maria!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete