Friday, March 4, 2011

How to Integrate Wonderopolis into Reading Workshop



I recently presented  at the Dublin Literacy Conference on integrating iPods in my classroom.  After the presentation, I was asked by several colleagues to explain in more detail how I use Wonderopolis in my reading workshop.  This will be a great time for me to reflect since I have been asked to participate in a panel discussion about how I use Wonderopolis.  I will be presenting at  the National Conference on Family Literacy April 3-5.  


#1  Our first week was spent exploring the website and discussing how the site is organized including the set up which I LOVE!!!  The video, word list and the clues for the next day's wonder are three of my favorite parts.


#2  Next we focused on how to integrate the reading strategies with Wonderopolis.  Prior to the students clicking on the second page, the students are required to make predictions, apply background knowledge, and write their own questions about the article.


#3 After reading the article, I introduced higher level questions that the students had to answer for HW and then we discussed the answers the next day.


#4  Next we integrated Wonderopolis with evernote which was a totally a digital workshop for the first time in my classroom.


#5 Finally we practiced all of these strategies preparing the students for our third trimester research topics.  


I have started thinking about how I am going to use Wonderopolis to launch my research  indicators.  I am looking forward to this thinking as well as presenting at the National Conference of Family Literacy.  Check back later for an update on both-

2 comments:

  1. This is such a powerful routine for your kids. I love how they can integrate more informational sources into their reading lives.

    I am so excited for you with your upcoming trip to Louisville!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Sounds like a fabulous opportunity. Will look forward to hearing more about the presentation.

    ReplyDelete