Saturday, July 9, 2011

Bird in a Box is Awesome

I just finished my favorite book of the summer, Bird in a Box, by Andrea Davis Pinkney.  I could not put it down and when I had to put it down all I kept doing was thinking about Hibernia, Willie, and Otis.  Three children growing up in upstate New York during the Great Depression during the time when Joe Louis was fighting which is in integral part of the story with different fights being announced from their old radios.  The development of these characters is amazing, and I love the way the book is organized by the character's names.  So many times I wanted to skip ahead because I wanted to know what happened to Ottis after the horrible incident that changed his life forever or I wanted to reach out and hug Willie when I had I had tears in my eyes after his life changing experience or I wanted to go sit outside the church where Hibernia would sing so beautifully just wishing her mother could hear her.  Their three lives eventually intertwine in the most unique setting which is the Mercy Home for Negro Orphans. I was entranced throughout the book, and I am very hopeful this book is recognized for a Newberry award in the fall.  I know I am putting it at the top of my list for our BES Newberry Club in the fall. Bill from Literate Lives and I both loved the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment