Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Slice of Life: Creating Memories


I was struck as I listened to the radio interview of Columbus Blue Jackets coach when he was asked , "Why this team made it to the playoffs?" He commented, “It's all about the chemistry. I believe it because this team likes each other. They get along and choose to be together on and off the ice. We have players who are 20 years old to 32, and they enjoy hanging out.  Their families and children choose to be together all the time.”

As I reflect on our last three months and think about the conversations that helped our family continue to heal. I realize several of the conversations were about Ostrander baseball. The eight glorious years when a group of boys played baseball from the age of 6 to 14. Their dads helped coach, and the moms helped with the concession stand, preparing meals and keeping uniforms clean.  The siblings traipsed to every game and cheered for their brothers. We even went to Walt Disney World over Christmas.  We didn’t win a game, but those memories 10 years later are what made a difference when our family faced tough times.

There is confusion about Common Core, PARCC, state testing and education in general. I am holding on to the fact in 10 years when my fifth graders will be graduated from college or pursing their career that they will remember “WONDERing” great books; immerse vocabulary, and the power of writing their ideas in a notebook.  I don’t think we really know what the conversations will be, but I do know for the past three months I am sure thankful for our Ostrander days and the importance of family and community.  

8 comments:

  1. You've been through so much, Maria - but your community was rich in love and support because of what you had already contributed towards it - you helped build and nurture it...and you still do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara, I never think about that on the front end. Life really is a full circle. I continue to be reminded of this daily.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Excited to connect again this summer with you. Thank for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Maria, can so identify with your post. We have the Red Shield basketball family that has walked with us through thick and thin. The boys started playing in second grade and now they are all in college. And I so agree with you about CCSS, etc. The most important thing we can do is give our kids a huge rich well of memories and joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing to me that our Ostrander days and the stories we all remember were the highlights of conversations. The power of the whole group is much stronger than the individual. I appreciate how you add joy to the mix I agree.

      Delete
  4. I truly believe that if you are a part of teaching someone how to express themselves- they will carry that, and a little piece or memory of you always. . . Truly love this idea of community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Community at home and school are what makes tough days better and great days superior.

      Delete